I was in a baking mood on Friday and decided after making the daily bread that I would investigate the sweet pages of Dough (Richard Bertinet) to see if there was anything I fancied and lo and behold I found Jack's Buns, a variation on a pain aux raisin but with chocolate. Mmmmmmmm. I'd made them a few years ago and remembered they were delicious so thought I would make them again. The only rub is that as they are filled with creme patissiere which for 500g's of dough (24 buns) is 6 egg yolks! Quite a few for a few buns so I decided to halve the recipe and make just 12 buns thus using 3 egg yolks in the creme patissiere.
My timings were a bit iffy as I was in and out on Friday but the resulting buns were a triumph, devoured by the children (and me). YUM YUM YUM. Think I'll make another batch right now, problem is, with all the egg whites I'm overrun with meringues!

No comments:
Post a Comment