Back to the baking challenge...
This week I was keen to try the Somerset Cider loaf and the Tea Loaf but still need what I refer to as the daily bread, basically, something the children will eat! So I began by making a basic white loaf. I'm getting better at achieving a good crust by placing a shallow tray of water in the bottom of the oven and then just before they go in, slashing the top with a super sharp blade. (picture 1)
Then onto the real challenge, the Somerset Cider Loaves. I began at 1pm yesterday and started by making the ferment which takes four to six hours, it looked a bit gooey by the time it was ready for stage 2, making the dough. (picture 2)
It was to prove twice each for 45 mins and this seemed to take forever, then I had to shape them and leave them to prove for 1.5hrs which turned into 2 as I forgot all about them! The results were four pretty brilliant looking loaves and the flavour is great, really earthy. Problem is with four huge loaves, what to do? As there is nothing like fresh bread, the girls took a loaf next door to the neighbours - who are always happy to help us out with baked goods, we're eating one and the other two are in the freezer. I think the Fruit loaf may have to wait a day or two! (Picture 3 and 4)

No comments:
Post a Comment